A friend liked a shared link on Facebook and I happen to see it on my feeds. I just want to share it with everyone, along with my thoughts, as I am passionately against those outdated practices, beliefs or myths that people in this current era are still (blindly) believing in.

The 6 Confinement Myths by Eu Yan Sang:

Eu Yan Sang's article on confinement myths...


I am especially stoked to see this particular myth in the list:
Myth #3: Do not shower or wash one’s hair. Contact with water is thought to cause “wind” to enter the body and lead to headaches and rheumatism later in life. This taboo may have originated from northern China of the past. Since water quickly became freezing because of the cold weather, it was easy to catch a chill from bathing. 

The truth: It is perfectly fine to continue one’s bathing habits. Besides maintaining personal comfort, regular bathing helps prevent skin and wound infections. However, the mother should not bathe with cold water. She should also dry her body immediately after bathing to prevent exposure to cold air.  
[As quoted from Eu Yan Sang's Beware These 6 Confinement Myths]

When I saw that, in my mind I was like, "Oh gosh. FINALLY. I've been waiting for someone to agree with my logic or just someone more credible than me to bust this myth!" :D

The thing is, in this era, when warm water is already so easily accessible, I cannot fathom why women would still need to stick to the old tradition/belief of "strictly no showering during the whole confinement period because it will cause bad rheumatism and body aches when you're older" absurdity.

For me, it is so unhygienic for yourself, your baby and your family. Logical reasoning will tell you, it started in the past (in China) because their water was cold! It could have caused them to fall sick easily, thus, this myth/belief started.

But now, it baffles me to know that there are still some women who would follow this tradition blindly and not question it. Unfortunately, I understand that, maybe some of them were or are being forced by their mothers or mother-in-laws to do that. Then I guess, they don't really have much of a choice. That would be so sian for them. Maybe now with this article from Eu Yan Sang, they can convince their mothers/MILs that it is perfectly fine to shower during the 1-month confinement period? Hopefully that will be the case from now on! :)

Many years ago, a 60+ year-old (experienced) nurse (Chinese lady) once told my friends and I that she showered during her confinement and she's still as healthy as can be. No aches and whatsoever. Imagine her actually going against tradition and "rebelling" during her era. I bet she received a lot of disapproving looks and telling-offs.

Anyway, we can also look at all the other women from other countries who don't have confinement practices like that... are their health in their old age any worse than us Chinese women who would do that? Most probably not.

I told my mother and husband, when I do have a baby, nobody is stopping me from having my shower, period. Can't imagine having to look like shit (flabby tummy and all) and then having to feel and smell like shit. Ugh.

Luckily, my husband agrees with my logical reasoning and my mother actually said it's ok (just have to shower with herbs and warm water).

Thank God for their reasonable and logical attitude.  Phew.

Labels: , , , ,


Post a Comment